CAREFertility Forum Index FAQ Search Watched Topics Login
Register

CAREFertility Forum Index Life begins at ..... 1st cycle of IVF/ICSI at 43 - cycle buddy mid October Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Footsteps2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 pm

First time of posting on here and new to all this....

My hubby and I are starting our 1st ever cycle in approx 1 weeks time.... of IVF/ICSI.

Its all starting to become so real now this week as drugs have been delivered and had my injection teach on Tuesday. I feel quite calm at the moment... but not sure if I will be the same next week?? Confused

It would be nice to hear from anybody who may be cycling the same time to share experiences etc

Best Wishes,
Footsteps2

Last edited by Footsteps2 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

X 3 DEIVF BFN x 1 DEIVF FET with intralipids clexane & steroids! DEIVF#6 with intralipids clexane steroids baby aspirin & calcium BFP!!! We r finally pregnant! #sticklittleone/s xxx
maryrose
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Footsteps - I am not sure if anyone is cycling at the mo., who posts regularly on the Over-40s, but feel free to come on to Lovely Ladies for lots of support. We have lots of ladies on the thread at varying stages. love Maryrose xxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 pm

O.k Thanks Maryrose, I will check the Lovely Ladies thread out.

Footsteps x

X 3 DEIVF BFN x 1 DEIVF FET with intralipids clexane & steroids! DEIVF#6 with intralipids clexane steroids baby aspirin & calcium BFP!!! We r finally pregnant! #sticklittleone/s xxx
Denny
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am

Hi Footsteps

We are also starting our first ever IVF/ICSI cycle this month, on Cycloprogynova for this month, had my drugs all delivered this week, nearly cried when I saw the pink ones, then realised they were for drawing the fluid!!!

Injection teach next Thursday. What was yours like?

First blood test and scan about the 28th I think................

Oh and I have just turned 45.

Look forward to sharing the journey with you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 am

Footsteps and Denny - best of luck!

Sparrow, Pika and Sophia are our recent success stories ... they conceived using their own eggs at 43/44 for Sparrow, 42/43 for Pika and Sophia.

Denny - I nearly cried too when I first saw the pink needles!!!

Love,
Maple
xxx
Charlie41
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 am

Denny and Footsteps- Good Luck to you bothx

The ladies on the ' lovely ladies ' thread will be able to offer you lots of advice and support so pop over!!

When I was cycling last year, I read of a lady who had been injecting with the pink needles for a few days, till somebody pointed out on the BB that they were the drawing up needles!! Surprised

Goodness knows what flesh she was using!!

Charliexxx
Denny
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Maple and Charlie

Thank you for your encouraging words and great to hear of the ladies with success stories - I do read your LL thread and have posted a couple of times before and you are all so full of wisdom and experience - oh and I think slightly mad too.

Ouch that poor lady who was actually injecting with the pink ones, I think that would have put me off big style - not sure how I am going to be with the normal ones - does it really hurt? Any hints and tips please?

Thank you xx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Denny,

The first couple of injections are the worst ... the anticipation is worse than it really is.

They generally recommend injecting on the tummy (below the belly button and at least an inch away from it), as it is where it is nice and fleshy. I have found doing it on the upper thighs better.

Also, I have found that if you pinch an inch if you do it around the tummy area, it is less painful (maybe the pinching takes away any feelings?). For the thighs, I didn't need to pinch an inch.

I have also found that if the injection drugs are at room temperature (warming of the filled syringe in the palm of the hand) helps a little.

TBH, the injections don't really hurt, as they are subcutaneous ... it's the odd occasion that you might hit a capillary and bruise.

Good luck,
Maple
xxx
Footsteps2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your support and hearing of those with success stories Very Happy

Denny - I almost had a heart attack when I saw the pink needles too until I read the leaflet! The injection teach was good, got shown how to prepare everything first and then how to draw the fluid and mix etc then you have a go yourself and they give you a mock pinch of skin (can't really describe it any other way) and you inject into that... if the injection goes in me as easy as it went in that, I will be very happy.

The nurse asked me if I had brought any with me... but I hadn't been told to when I booked the appt, but they had it all there anyway (only using empty ampules etc during teach) but I think it was more for the recognition of which drugs are what etc.... I just took my protocol... am sure I will pick it all up soon enough lol!

I should be having 1st scan & blood test approx 27th... and I am on menopur & start injecting approx Thurs/Fri next week

It will be great sharing the journey with you too

Thanks again ladies... I am sure I will be on here asking you allsorts of questions lol!

Footsteps
Denny
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:39 am

Morning All

Maple - Pinch an inch - not problem there then Very Happy

Footsteps - sounds like our dates are very similar, I start on the Buserelin/Dexamethasone/Aspirin/Oestradiol Valerate on the same day as my first Scan and Blood Test around the 28th, then add Menopur on Day 2/3.

I was told to bring my drugs with me next week to the Injection Teach but not my needles.

Not long now..............scary

What Clinic are you at?

Maple any hints and tips about the other drugs I an going to be taking?

Have a good weekend all.

xx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Denny,

Ladies who take Prednisolone (a steriod) tend to take in in the morning, as it can induce sleeplessness. Dexamethasone is a steriod too, so it might be worth taking it in the morning too.

Obviously, try to take the drugs at around the same time each day. Besides that I can't think of anything else.

Love,
Maple
xxx
XDAISYX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:20 am

SENDING LOTS OF PMA TO FOOTSTEPS AND DENNY.

GOOD LUCK LADIE'S .

XDAISYX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Denny I am at ... how about you? You will be fine at the teach on Thursday
Smile Good Luck anyway!

Not long now at all.... eek!

Maple plenty of inches to pinch with me too Laughing
Very Happy
Thanks Daisy for lots of PMA

Footsteps x

Last edited by Footsteps2 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denny
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Footsteps

Manchester for me too - might see you in the waiting room - we will have to carry a red carnation between our teeth for recognition Smile or whatever it was they did in the movies though DH's might think we are mad!

Do you have far to travel to Manchester - our trip is about 1.25 hrs ish depending on traffic so not too bad.

Have readjusted my potential first scan/blood test date to 27th as finish by Progynova on Tuesday not Wednesday.

Maple thank you for your tip on taking steroids in the morning. I reckon I am gonna be full of holes and rattle after all these drugs - oh and hopefully full of babies - DH keeps saying we are going to have 6 as all 3 embies will split................................

Daisy thanks you so much for the PMA and good luck wishes.

x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Denny,

Laughing I like it! yes the DH's will think we have gone crazy lol!

Approx 1 hr ... depending on traffic too, so not too bad either. Was originally considering Hewitt Centre Liverpool as only 15 mins drive but Care had better results etc...

We will both be like sieves Laughing after the injections

Footsteps x
Denny
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Footsteps

I keep getting butterflies every time I think about starting it all for real......................

It's good to have someone who will be sharing almost identical dates and hopefully positive results for us both, though how scary are the thoughts of a baby - or multiples.

x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Denny

I know exactly what you mean.... I said to DH when the drugs arrived this week... this is all becoming more real now... and not just appointments, tests, scans or operations! I am just counting down the days before af starts and then thats the start of this rollercoaster journey! and by this time next week... will hopefully be doing the injections with my eyes shut lol (probably literally too)

It is great to be able to share our experiences together and hopefully positive results too Smile

Multiples lol! twins & triplets on DH side of the family, sister dreamt of me having twins and my gyneacologist that performed my hysteroscopy last month said good luck with the triplets when I saw him a few weeks ago for my check up lol! Will need to get a bigger house Smile !

Footsteps x
Denny
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Oooh sounds like you will be having lots.................................

Not long to go now before we start, I finish my Cyclo tomorrow and then waiting for AF - cant remember ever wanting AF to arrive, the things we do eh?

x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Ha ha I wish Laughing

Any day for me now... as af cramps are coming thick and fast!

Feels weird wanting af to start but disappointed that after op when more fertile, our last chance of a natural pg before treatment we got no positive results Confused Hopefully better chance with ivf/icsi as DH doesn't have many swimmers due to testicular cancer, just glad that he has more than enough for icsi Smile

Are you on a long/short protocol? I am on a short and straight onto high dose of menopur... just hoping that I don't suffer with any side affects.. DH said he has got his armour ready!

Footsteps x
Denny
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Twins would do nicely - one of each I think!

I am on short protocol too, starting on Buserelin, Aspirin, Dexamethasone on day 1/2 then adding in Menopur on day 2/3 - I am sure we will be like little darlings with all these drugs!!

So how long are you taking the Menopur for given that your first scan is around the 27th?

x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 pm

That would be nice twins one of each Smile

On menopur till cd8 which is when I should have a scan and blood test (protocol says subject to availability?) but injections and monitoring will continue after this until ready for ec I will need more menopur if that's the case as I have been pescribed 9 days worth. Have also got to inject cetrotide from cd5 also - 2 injections per day.. eek! So all being well and subject to availability lol! I should have scan etc around 27th ish

We sure will be pro's at the end of this cycle Smile

Footsteps x

Denny
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Footstpes

It fascinates me how they know what mixture of drugs to give each person, but I guess that is why they are the experts - who's your Consultant?

Last day of Cyclo today so am drug free until AF starts and then off we go.

Sorry to read about your DH's cancer - hope all ok with him now, and good that he has enough swimmers!!!

I think we were just recommended to have ICSI to try and improve chances (everything test wise was good for us both) as the odds are pretty low - but it only takes one (or three). Are you planning to have three put back?

Did you look into ArrayCGH at all?

Off to bed for me, been a long busy day, nite.

x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Denny

I know it is intriguing how they know what drugs each person needs... our consultant is Glenn Atkinson, who is your consultant?

How you feeling so far with the Cyclo? I have been drug free so far until AF... she showed her face today lol! I rang Care but they said if it is not a full flow by 12 lunchtime (which it wasn't), then to call back tomorrow.. so hopefully tomorrow should by my day 1 cycle and then I should be starting my injections on Friday eek! time to see if I took it all in from the teach I had last week lol!

You got your teach tomorrow haven't you?

DH had cancer long before I met him and all gone after operation and radiotherapy etc.. so all is good, apart from the radiotherapy has affected his little swimmers bless! but many tests he has always only had 1.2 mil but last specimen he did to freeze for back up for ICSI was more than double at 3mil so his daily intake of zinc, folic acid and daily vitamin must be doing something ( DH said it might have been the bottle of stella cider he had the night before he did his specimen lol!)

We were recommended ICSI due to DH swimmers and my age... Mr Atkinson wanted me to go with DE rather than use my own, but said I want to try mine 1st before we go down that route. (We have already decided we would use DE if we need to) I have just got to decide how many to have put back 2 or 3, but I said it depends on the outcome of EC first but will probably go for the 3.

No we haven't looked into ArrayCGH as yet... have you?

Gosh I can ramble lol!

Footsteps x
Kitkat1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi

We have started our first ever cycle this week. Had injection training on Monday at Milton Keynes and the nurse was fab ! And administered my first injection last night. Bit hesitant to put the needle in but was actually fine ! I'm on Buserelin and then Gonal F.

We are giving this a go with my own eggs just once, if we try again it will be with a DE. Conceived naturally a year ago, then lost it at 8 weeks, so feel I need to give my own eggs another chance.

I know the chances of success are near enough zero, so am trying to be pragmatic about it and not stress myself out too much. You know, hope for the best but expect the worst. Still can't be as bad as what we went through last year... had to wait 2 weeks after finding out it was not a viable pregnancy to lose it.

So fingers crossed for everyone !! Smile

H
xx

Me 44
DH 50
Footsteps2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi Kitkat

Well done to you for doing your 1st injection! I start menopur injections tomorrow Shocked I think I will be alright once I have have done the 1st one, but will probably be like yourself and be a bit hesitant at first.

So sorry to hear that you had a loss at 8 wks, I cannot begin to imagine what you must have gone through.

DH and I said we would try my own eggs first (never been pg) and if we need to go down the DE route then that's what we would do... but I ask myself how many times do I try with mine is this cycle doesn't work.

But lots of PMA and fingerscrossed for us girls cycling this month Very Happy

Footsteps x

1st cycle of IVF/ICSI at 43 - cycle buddy mid October 
CAREFertility Forum Index Life begins at .....
Page 1 of 7 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next