CAREFertility Forum Index FAQ Search Watched Topics Login
Register

CAREFertility Forum Index Immunology Forum Metformin sickness help

mrsmo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone who has taken metformin before can help me. I'm on my 1st immune cycle and started taking double dose of metformin on Christmas Day. First two days I had really bad runs, then since then whenever I try and eat anything other than dry toast I vomit. It doesn't really seem to be getting better, but I really want to keep taking the dose if possible as I know I'm on it for a reason.

My questions are- is there anything that you found ok to eat when on metformin? Also, do the symptoms subside pretty quickly? I'm back at work next week, and don't want to feel like this if possible!

Thanks

MrsMo xx
jent2006
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi
I took metformin during my last cycle, I started on 500mg then worked upto 2x850mg over a couple of weeks.
To be honest I was a bit off to start but then fine after about a week. I didn't have side effects with it and am not sure whether it's because I made sure I ate before taking it. I also 'grazed' on food during all my drug taking months. I'm convinced this method kept the sickness at bay.

I think it really depends on your body and your build as to whether you suffer the side effects but worth a go if you're not already eating little & often x

4 x IVF (with ICSI) 2004-2005 BFN Sad
5th IVF (with ICSI) 2006 BFP Smile
6th IVF Dec2010 (with ICSI) BFP m/c Sad
7th IVF Mar2011 *1st Immunes BFP Very Happy D/D 14Dec
Dianne1004
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi,

I'm currently taking 2 x 850 metforim a day. They never made me vomit, but certainly caused problems at the other end when I first started them. I think it took about a week or so for my body to get used to them.

I take one with my breakfast and the 2nd with my tea. I take them when I'm about three quarters of the way through my meal and swallow them with other food in my mouth. I didn't eat anything special or different to normal

I hope you get used to them soon

Dianne

5th attempt, ICSI with immune system treatment - BFP
mrsmo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Dianne and Jent

Thanks for your replies- hopefully after about a week I should be fine then. Smile I know you're meant to takw them with a meal but my problem is I can't keep anything more than a couple of slices of toast down so not sure that constitutes a meal!!!

I haven't tried grazing through the day though- so that's good advice- I might try that Jent. Also congrats on your new born- I take it from your signature the immune cycle worked then! Also Dianne congrats on your BFP too- yay for immune cycles!!!.

Mrs Mo xxx
ems79
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi

If you still feel bad after trying the above it might help cutting the tablets in half and taking 4 a day after food until your body gets use to them.

Emma xxx

IVF 1, 2 & 3 All BFN - 4 frosties from #2
FET x1 BFN
FET x2 Canx - failed to divide
Aug 11 Immunology testing - High NK cell levels
IVF x4 1st immune cycle - Canx poor response
IVF x4.5 Starting Dec 2011
Wren
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I remember that evil stuff! I could only eat, salt and vinegar crisps, cheese and Apples. Everything else made me sick for the first few weeks. Perhaps you could try my strange diet!
I hope it settles soon and good luck.
Wren
x

BFP m/c
BFN
Immune cycle BFP !!!!! Twins born 27.04.11
Lizzy26
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Mrs Mo,

I was also very unwell at first with Metformin, especially when I had to increase the dose. It was so bad we asked about coming off the medication. However, we persevered and after two or three weeks things settled down and I felt better than before I started taking it. The key is to follow a low GI diet (which was recommend by Care), which also helps to stabilise insulin levels which is the point of metformin in the first place. There are plenty of online resources to help understand what foods to eat/avoid (it is not all common-sense eg some of the highest GI foods include things like parsnips and potatoes). This will also help you follow a healthy eating diet which is good anyway. I am now fine unless I eat something high GI, in which case I can feel really ill again - it feels like a bad hangover. No doubt different people respond slightly differently but I hope this helps - it certainly has worked for me so far this cycle as you can see from my signature!

Good luck,

Lizzy

2nd IVF 23.10.11 with immunology protocol - BFP, scan at 7 weeks (30.12.11) - twins, doing well!
mrsmo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Well I thought things were getting better but have had a bad couple of days yesterday and today Sad. I'll definitely try the low GI diet though- thanks Lizzie...although crisps, apples and cheese sounds good Wren!!!! It's weird because I asked at CARE and they said to avoid foods high in fat- yet one of the only foods I've been able to eat is mini babybels Smile ..getting quite embarrassing at work having to dash to the loo every 5 minutes!!! The only bonus is that i have totally gone off sugary foods, or any kind of pudding/chocolate etc (and I used to have an incredibly sweet tooth!)......every cloud has a silver lining and all that!!

Thanks for all your help ladies xxxx

Mrs MO.
AMR80
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Mrs Mo,

I had Metformin on all 3 of my previous ICSI cycles and was reasonably ok ( the runs at times and bloating) until cycle 3 where I was sick. This coincided with me increasing my dose from 1 x 850mg to 2 x 850mg. I spoke to CARE and my dose stayed at 1 x 850mg. I couldn't face feeling rubbish. My next cycle I am having 2 x 500g to try and spread out the dose over the day. If I took mine on an empty stomach I felt worse. It was a vicious circle. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Anna

20.03.12 BFP - 8dp5dt
DD born Nov 12
AMR80
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Help, I am on day 3 of metformin and currently on 1 x 500 mg and feel rough - basically nausea and diarrhoea as well as very thirsty. Tomorrow I am upping my dose to 2 x 500mg. I follow a low gi diet but today when I felt ill I forced a sandwich down and I felt bed again. I see some ladies have felt better after a week so I will have to hope this is the case as I hate feeling like this.

Anna

20.03.12 BFP - 8dp5dt
DD born Nov 12
L_ouise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm on Metformin and just jumped straight to the maximum 3 X 500mg dose because i don't have much time and i was really worried about feeling crappy and i've felt fine so far.

I had a bit of the runs after my first tablet and then nothing since except for a lingering acid feeling in my stomach that isn't an issue at all.

I've even had this morning tablet with no food and feel fine.

I am, however, on an atkins style diet where i don't eat any startchy or processed carbs at all. No bread, pasta, sugar, pastry, potatoes, corn, etc so i'm wondering if that is helping?

ICSI #6 +AOA +ROS +immunes = 2 frosties + BFP!!! Very Happy

Baby is here safe and absolutely perfect <3

Feb 14 - FET #1 +immunes
Maple
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 am

Louise,

For goodness' sake ... don't be on any fad diets when you are about to cycle or are cycling. A healthy balanced diet is best to ensure your body gets all the right nutrients you need for cycling (egg production) and pregnancy. By all means cut out the unhealthy foods/snacks such as crisps, chocolates, pastries, cakes, fried/fatty foods. Your body needs vitamins and minerals that fruit and vegetable provides, as well as the proteins provided by meats. If you want to see weight lost faster, couple the healthy diet with lots of exercise.

Maple
xxx
Metformin sickness help 
CAREFertility Forum Index Immunology Forum
Page 1 of 1