CAREFertility Forum Index FAQ Search Watched Topics Login
Register

CAREFertility Forum Index Life begins at ..... You are not a number....

nikival
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Having read Maple's link on the general forum, I found another article that I thought might be interesting to other ladies, like me, of the over 40 variety! See link below... This is what my consultant at the QMC said and I thought he was just being gung ho, but turns out there's some real research behind it. I thought this was worth posting as so much of what's printed/said/communicated is doom and gloom for us older ladies. Good to know that it's not cut and dried.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9105884/Age-not-key-factor-in-success-of-IVF-research-shows.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Niki for the article.

All my fertility hormone tests looked great at 42-45, I have always lead a healthy life-style ... but my eggs were crappy!

A belated congratulations on your BFP ... increasing the success rates for the over 40's ... hurray!

Hope you have a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy. Best of luck with your first scan.

Love,
Maple
xxx
nikival
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks! It's still not sinking in and I won't feel able to get excited until the second trimester, if then. I've been through too much to assume that this is the end of the journey but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes, I know it's not cut and dried on those tests either. There are always lots of unknowns and it seems like some couples still don't ever get any answers. It's so frustrating. Are you trying donor eggs? I thought that there must be some invisible problem with my eggs after my fifth IVF failure and had already made my mind up I would go that way if the consultant advised it. But they said that since the wait for donor sperm was shorter that it was worth trying that first, given the obvious sperm issues.

Niki xxx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Niki,

It is hard for a BFP to sink in after a long tortuous journey ... but hopefully after the scan it will sink in (a bit more).

I have tried with donor eggs - 2 fresh and 3 frozen (3 m/c's and 1 biochem) ... sadly no success. But a lot of knowledge gained along the way (looking for that holy grail)!

Love,
Maple
xxx

Last edited by Maple on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikival
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Yes, I gather that. You seem to know more about IVF than some of the consultants and nurses. I was saying to my DH the other day that I know far, far more about human reproduction than most people ever need to. I can't believe how little most people know about how we all come to be. I'm quite well educated and did sciences at A level but I was still clueless, really, about how it all really works...

I hope you find the thing that works for you soon.

Niki xxx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks Niki.

I still believe that determination/persistence (or stubborness in my case) will pay off in the end.

All the best to you too.
Maple
xxx
nikival
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 pm

I agree Maple. As you can see from my treatment history, I'm also of the 'never give up, never surrender' school. Smile xxx

CAREFertility Forum Index Life begins at .....
Page 1 of 1