CAREFertility Forum Index FAQ Search Watched Topics Login
Register

CAREFertility Forum Index General Forum ? for those who have used Gestone or similar

kingtut
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 am

Hiya

I am waiting on my appointment with George to discuss starting our 10th cycle. In all my cycles I have bled long before the OTD (except # 6 which was my only success) and in cycle 's 7 and 9 I got a positive HCG blood test but was bleeding and the pregnancy didn't progress so I am now thinking that maybe part of the problem is the progesterone support as in my last cycle I stopped bleeding everytime I used a pessary only for it to start again a few hours later. So any way i am thinking of asking George to prescribe Gestone injections rather than Utrogestan or cyclogest but first I was wondering if anybody could answera few questions.

1. did gestone stop your bleeding even if the cycle was unsuccessful.
2. How painful are the injections as I have heard a lot of horror stories about them bearing in mind I will also be doing daily clexane injestions
3. How expensive are th Gestone injections

Thanks in advance

Leeann

10 IVF's 1 perfect son time to call it a day Sad
ThisTime
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Leeann

I had 5 fresh cycles all BFN and bled before OTD between day 7 and 10 always very heavy- I asked if I could use gestone on next one which was FET - I had only a little spotting around day 10 for a couple of hours (hardly noticable) but still got a BFN - Had another fresh cycle this time with George and used Gestone again - Again had a little spotting around day 10/11 - which must have been implantation bleeding as I got BFP on this go - I am now 32 weeks pregnant.

I found the gestone better than pessaries as I was 100% sure all was in my body - only took 30 seconds each day and it allowed you to plan the 2WW more knowing you were unlikely to bleed either way took some of the stress of knicker checking away ! The injections themselves although not nice were not too bad and if I ever cycled again I would prefer gestone - Couldn't do them myself but DP would give me them in my bottom.

Cant remember exact price but they are more expensive than pessaries but not extortionate like some of the meds

Best of luck with next cycle X
lisa hope
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi
i have beeen prescribed gestone for next cycle due to being an early bleeder so fingers crosssed it will do its magic!

kingtut
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Thistime firstly many congratulations on your pregnancy not long for you now . It is very reassuring that the gestone did seem to stop your bleeding as I believe if i an stop the early bleeding then i am in with a chance, I am also glad to know it is not as painful as I have been led to believe and I think your right at least with the injections i would know i was getting all the progesterone and none would be leaking out . Now the big problem is getting DH prepared for doing the injections as he has a massive needle phobia and has been to known to faint at the sight of needles ho hum.

Thank you very much again

Leeann

Moakesy Brit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Good Luck Leean,
Hope your all ok!! Not long till Sam starts school!
George
c

My Tinkerbells nearly 5yrs Nov 2011
kingtut
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi georgina

we are all fine

Yes he starts school 17th August went today to buy his uniform before his size sells out and have to admit shed a tear when I saw him wearing it but he is so excited.

How are you you and your gorgeous girlies .

Leeann

Last edited by kingtut on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corinna
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Leann,

I used gestone on my 2nd cycle.

The answer to your first question is yes. It was a BFN but I didn't start bleeding until a few days after I stopped the gestone injections.

The answer to your 2nd question is also yes ( Wink ). I'd heard some awful stories about how painful gestone was to inject & how big the needles were. The needles are pretty huge but the actual injection itself didn't hurt as much as I thought. Don't get me wrong, they're not pleasant but assuming you inject in the right place (upper, outer quadrant if I remember correctly) it shouldn't hurt too much.

To be honest, I can't really remember how much gestone was in comparision to cyclogest which I'd used on my first cycle, but I don't remember it being overly expensive.

Hope I've helped (ish)

Good luck with this forthcoming cycle hunni. I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

Corinna xx

kingtut
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks Corinna that was a great help seems as though the gestone will be the way to go just hope george agrees

Leeann

emerald
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Leeann

no idea about Gestone but just wanted to wish you lots of luck and hope you can find something that helps

Emerald x x x

2009 Natural miracle 2nd DD born Jan 2010
2010 Natural BFP m/c, 2011 clomid 5x BFN
2012 Natural BFP 3rd DD born jan 2013
kingtut
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks emerald

Leeann

Briony
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Leeann,

I've used Gestone for 5 out of 12 cycles - 2 were successful and no bleeds, the others weren't and no early bleeds - in fact I didn't bleed til I came off all the drugs. They are not particularly comfortable, but I took a 'needs must' attitude to it all and DH had to do them for me. Clexane I could do myself. There were days when I thought ouwch, sore tummy - arrghhh, sore bum but that was after a good few weeks.

You probably remember, I'm a George girl too. You could also ask about adding in HRT to your protocol after ET.

Love Briony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks Briony

That's really helpful i will ask about the HRT as well although think I will be doing the short protocol with HRT before I start so wonder if i would be able to take it again but will ask and see.

Thank you
Leeann

? for those who have used Gestone or similar 
CAREFertility Forum Index General Forum
Page 1 of 1