CAREFertility Forum Index FAQ Search Watched Topics Login
Register

CAREFertility Forum Index Bumps, Babies and Beyond.... 14 month old biting....ouch.

ChoccyBicky
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi ladies,

Alex has started a new game this week - biting me and DH. Evil or Very Mad

He thinks it's very funny and we are doing very stern faces and saying a very firm no but he just laughs. He sunk his teeth into my shoulder tonight and his 6 teeth are very sharp. He tries to bite my leg if I walk past him and grabs my fingers and sticks them in his mouth to bite if he gets the chance.

I have given him his Sophie teether back and he chewed it a bit today. I don't want him to start biting other kids at nursery.....

Any tips? Thanks

Love h
X

Www.fortyoneandknackered.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Sorry for the Excessive use of very in the above post !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 pm

It's probably just because he's realised he can! He's far too young to know that it's naughty as such, so I'd just keep reinforcing the 'no'. My son is nearly 2.5 and he bit me so hard on the leg whilst I was in the middle of this IVF cycle that I actually screamed. Bless him he cried then though and hasn't done it again because I think he realised it really hurt mummy.

As for the bite, it nearly broke the skin (through my jeans at the top of my thigh), but just added to all the injection bruises! lol

Have you tried biting him back? I don't mean hard, but a slight nip so that he can understand that when he does it it hurts? Gosh I hope that doesn't sound too extreme!

Good luck!
Wendy x

ChoccyBicky
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Wendy thanks for that.

Oh yes I actually scream out when he does it, its so painful. Funnily enough my mum told me that when I was a baby I bit her so hard she actually bit me back and despite her crying with guilt ( and me crying in pain) I never bit again! So maybe I should try it.....

Love h xxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

hi there , i also have a 14 month old boy who sometimes bites ( is cutting 3 molars ) and pulls hair . He is doing both from frustration due to teething pain , i just say no & put him on the floor so he realises that he's hurt me . I did the same with my older son at same age & it did eventually work .

I must say i strongly disagree with biting your child back esp a toddler , his teeth are prob killing him.

My son is just so frustrated at minute , & terrible seperation anxiety , unfortunately my 4 yr old also seems to be on the receiving end of the biting & hair pulling to Rolling Eyes

hope it improve Sarahx

born -6.01.2008
Feb 09 FET -BFN
May 09 FET -BFN
Dec 2009 - ICSI - BFN
March 2010 FET -BFP- resulting in a beautiful son born-20.12.2010
EBS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi there

My DS did this at exactly the same age. I think he did it for fun as he always laughed after, especially if we reacted in any way (which is hard cos it hurts). We decided to try to completely ignore it as if he hadn't even done anything. He eventually stopped doing it, I don't remember when though. It's just one of those horriblw phases that they go through!
xx

possum1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi Choccy,
Jack (who as you know is also 14 months) also bites my shoulder/neck all the time. I don't think he realises it hurts and to him it probably just feels nice to bite on skin. All I've done is say a firm 'no' but it doesn't have much effect either.
He's never bitten me anywhere else though. He often crawls to me when I'm standing in the kitchen and kisses my leg!
Sorry I have no suggestions but it seems common and is of course 'just a phase'!
xx Possum

Natural FET Mar 2010, BFN
Natural FET Apr 2010, Jack born 18Dec'10
ChoccyBicky
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks ladies.

No I haven't bitten him back, don't think it would help really. I told nursery about it but he hasn't bitten anyone there at all so it's just me and DH he wants to chomp on.....praps it's his way of showing affection !!!!

I will ride it out for now and keep saying no......

Love h xx

14 month old biting....ouch. 
CAREFertility Forum Index Bumps, Babies and Beyond....
Page 1 of 1