Ways to increase fertility
You can decide your own personal action plan to increase your fertility; you’ll find that not only do you become fitter but, if you need IVF, you’ll feel more positive and in control.
The impact of nutrition on fertility
Leading conception and pregnancy expert Zita West highlights the importance of good nutrition for healthy eggs and sperm, improving your chances of successful fertility treatment.
Zita West is the founder of the renowned Zita West Fertility Clinic, which is part of the Care Fertility Group, combining our world-leading science and commitment to highly personalised care with the Zita West focus on pre-preparation and the micro-management of your treatment.
Want to learn more ways to increase your fertility? Dr Gillian Lockwood, Medical Director of Care Tamworth, discusses global research and good nutrition for fertility in this blog. Zita has also written a blog about supporting your immunity from home, including explaining where to find important nutrients, antioxidants and fatty acids in common foods.
Eating a healthy and balanced diet is crucial for both of you when preparing to conceive. Remember… You are what you eat!
Vitamins and minerals (for her)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
Vitamins and minerals (for him)
- Vitamin E – 400 IU
- Vitamin C – 100 mg
- Selenium 26 ugm
- Zinc 25 mg
- Lycopene 6 mg
- Folate 0.5mg
- Garlic 1000 mg
Exercise and weight
Managing your stress
- Talk to each other, remember you aren't going through this alone.
- Use Care's counselling service – A professional and confidential counselling service is available to all Care patients before, during and after treatment.
- Do not work for more than ten hours a day.
- Take regular breaks during the day and allow at least half an hour for meals.
- Do some exercise two or three times per week.
- Use relaxation techniques once a day (e.g. meditation or relaxation tapes etc).
- Be kind to yourself. Set aside some time each day to be by yourself – listen to music, have a relaxing bath or just take time out.
- Learn to say NO – to christenings, children’s birthday parties…. If you feel that an invitation will cause you anxiety, allow yourself the right to say no. You are dealing with enough when going through IVF so don’t expect more of yourself
- Do not set or accept deadlines that you cannot keep, most things can actually wait until tomorrow.
- Get sufficient sleep each night. Do something to relax you before going to bed and avoid drinking tea and coffee during the evening.
- Have a complete break away from everything as often as you can
Preparing for IVF, some real life experiences
If you have any concerns about your fertility health, please come and see us.